I am curing myself of Hashimoto's thyroiditis

I am a professional journalist who suffers from Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, an auto-immune disorder in which the body's antibodies, attack the thyroid gland. I was prescribed Thryoxine and told to take it for life. I am now challenging this directive through a course of action which I am determined will reverse my disease and restore my thyroid function. I will write regularly about what I am doing to fight this disease. Perhaps together we can prove that Hashimoto’s can be reversed.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

April 26 2006: A cure is possible

Hashimoto say: If a job needs doing, do it yourself.

British Thyroid Foundation emailed me today with research references:

They were as follows: Takasu N, Yamada T, Takusu M, Komiya I, Nagasawa Y, Asawa T, Shinoda T,
Aizawa T, Koizumi Y 1992 Disappearance of thyrotropin-blocking antibodies
and spontaneous antibodies and spontaneous recovery from hypothyroidism in
autoimmune thyroiditis. New Engl J Med 326:513-518.
Utiger RD 1992 Vanishing hypothyroidism. New Engl J Med 326:562-563.


I was hoping she might have spoon-fed me and emailed me the actual research but hey-ho, who said life was ever easy. Still, I’ve located one of them on the web and had a quick read.

The URL, for your interest is: http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/abstract/326/8/513:

This in a nutshell says: Hypothyroidism may result from the production of antibodies that block the actions of thyrotropin. How often these thyrotropin-blocking antibodies are a cause of hypothyroidism and whether their production may cease, causing hypothyroidism to disappear, have not been extensively studied. However, one study concluded that : “The production of thyrotropin-blocking antibodies may subside, producing remissions of hypothyroidism. Chronic autoimmune thyroiditis may therefore cause transient as well as permanent hypothyroidism.”

In a nutshell hypothyroidism can be cured.

So all those doctors that insist you will have to be on thyroxine for the rest of their life are talking about “odds” but not certainty.

Clearly money should be poured into researching this disease properly and far bigger studies undertaken. I believe there are millions of people out there resigned to taking thyroxine for the rest of their life who will never find out whether they could have recovered.

That’s sad.

Great for the pharmaceutical companies that manufacture thyroxine though, isn’t it?

Oops, I better be careful here – I’ve just seen The Constant Gardener!

Let’s make it clear - I’m not suggesting that the pharmaceutical companies that manufacture thyroxine are anything other that 100% ethical and responsible.

There are libel laws you know, so I just thought I’d make that point.

However, should you know otherwise…

I challenge the pharmaceutical companies to commission their own independent studies!

Yeh! Right!

Love
Hashimoto.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home